返回列表 发帖

What features would an "ideal hostel" have?

分享到:
http://www.hostelmanagement.com/forum/f15/what-features-would-ideal-hostel-have-1.html

What kinds of features and qualities make up an ideal hostel? What are some common problems that could be avoided?

I'll start the list. These are just personal opinions from traveling and working at hostels for many years. I would be interested to hear others' comments.

A partial list of features that an "ideal" hostel would have:
  • SECURITY LOCKERS: There would be security lockers in every room. They would be large enough for a laptop and a camera. Backpackers are increasingly traveling with high-tech gear. This is more of a problem in city hostels. I mention it because I am on the road right now, staying at a city hostel that advertises security lockers, but that does not have them. There is only a small safety deposit box behind the front desk. They offered to put my laptop behind the front desk, but I've been to a couple of city hostels where theft by employees was a problem, so I don't feel comfortable with doing that. All city hostels should have at least one locker for each guest. There is a good example of a way to put lockers in dorm rooms on this page: http://www.palmerslodge.co.uk/sleep.htm
  • COMMON KITCHEN: Many backpackers are on a tight budget and like to self-cater as much as possible. The advantage to a common kitchen is that it is easier to keep clean than multiple kitchens, and it is a place where all of the guests can come together and meet.
  • ACTIVITIES COORDINATOR: Whether this role is taken up by one of the existing employees, or by someone whose sole job is activity coordinator, it is important for the hostel to make sure that the guests are meeting each other and are having fun. To some extent, the most important thing that will leave a positive or negative impression on backpackers is whether or not they met other people and had fun. Even if they see a cockroach, if they met other backpackers and made new friends, they will remember the hostel as being a great place. Example activities that could be coordinated by a hostel: volleyball at the beach, barbeque nights, "open mike" night, walking tours of the area, pub crawls, game tournaments (e.g., chess), etc. Anything to encourage guests to interact.
  • MINIMAL TELEVISION: If anything, televisions at hostels seem to get in the way of people meeting each other, especially if there are TVs in the rooms. Nothing wrong with an occasional "movie night", but many great hostels do well without a TV at all. The same goes for loud music. If there is an area where loud music is played, there should be a place where people can gather that does not have radio or CD music pumped into it all day. Musical tastes are too varied.
  • 24-HOUR TALKING AREA: The ideal hostel would have a place where guests could talk 24-hours a day without disturbing other guests or neighbors.
  • HOSTEL CLEANLINESS: Some hostels have cleanliness problems. The best hostels keep themselves very clean. Designing the hostel facilities well in the beginning can help. Dirty hostels are often a result of work-exchange cleaners that aren't supervised well.

This is just a start to the list. What qualities do you think would make an ideal hostel?

Hostel Ideas
Here is a list that I came up with after traveling:
•        Book of comments on other hostels/activities in country/area-listed by location
•        White board with weather forecast and list of rooms with names of all people in rooms
•        Suggestion book/surveys
•        News from the world bulletin board
•        Book exchange
•        Art & decoration by people who have stayed at hostel
•        Campfires/wood burning stove
•        Honor roll of people who have volunteered at the hostel
•        Warm & colorful
•        Lots of Maps
•        Free coffee & tea
•        Keys left in rooms with vacancies for late arrivals-pay in morning
•        Aluminum showers w/lots of hooks and tall shower heads
•        Large sinks

Security lockers .. I got ours from a high school that was renovating, they are 1/2 size but big enough for the guests. I ask guests to bring a lock but have a few on site. the lockers are in the common area, I really did not have room in the bunk rooms.

We added some shelves on the wall near the foot of each bunk. they are a good place for the guests glasses, book, alarm clock, flashlight, whatever stuff. Also we have reading lights over each bunk. Good for those that wish some quiet self time and serves as an individual light at night so if guests has to get up, they are not stubbling or putting on the bright overhead room light.

If you cannot be an activities coordinator, ask the guests when they check in what their activities are going to be , what are their interests in the area, then you can direct them as where to get started. Have lots of info about the area and hiking, bike rentals, bike rides, area attractions, local restaurants and shops. most hostellers are prety self guided if they have the info available.

If your hostel is large, you may want to think about more than one meals area. A full kitchen or two. Or one kitchen and another area with a fridge and sink and maybe a microwave for the quick meal. Maybe sort of a lunch area with a table and a couple chairs. Meal time seems to create an overload sometimes at the cooking area.

Buying second-hand lockers, furniture and beds just looks cheap and nasty. It doesn't cost that much more to have new furnishings but it makes a big difference.

The Urban Central hostel in Melbourne, Australia have specially made lockers that feature a power points inside each locker. It's a brilliant idea as it lets you recharge your mobile phone, iPod and computer while it is safely locked away. I think that lockers where guests supply their own padlocks are best - it's more secure for the traveller and easier for the hostel operator.

Hostel kitchens work best when the stoves and food preparation benches are on a central island bench so guests face each other when they are cooking. This encourages travellers to talk to each other, which is difficult when they are staring at a wall when they cook their dinner.

Don't have an XBox or Playstation! It is one thing when a TV kills the atmosphere in a hostel, but at least you can watch the TV. Imagine how boring it is when one or two people are playing on the Playstation but everyone else is bored out of their minds watching someone else play a game.

It's okay to have a TV, but it works best when it is in a smaller room away from the main common room. That way guests have the opportunity to talk to each other but they still don't have to miss their favourite TV show.

It goes without saying that under no circumstances should any hostel ever have a curfew, lockout or rules prohibiting alcohol. Hostels may have got away with these arcane rules in the 1970s but nowadays hostels can only get away with them if they are the only hostel in town or if school or scout groups make up more than 90% of their clientele.

I think some factors for success in a saturated market are:
  • marketing, especially online
    • listed in guidebooks
    • listed on the hostel booking sites (despite the commission payouts)
    • good Web site with high search engine rankings
    • good distribution of rack flyers
  • great facilities
    • clean
    • secure
    • fun
    • good location
  • guests have a great time
    • great online reviews
    • word of mouth recommendations
    • building a "legendary" name/reputation (e.g., Pink Palace, Flying Pig, Green Tortoise)

详细内容,请点击1楼的链接

顶,貌似没几个人看懂。

最好给个翻译版
我是俗人,我高兴。

同LS,我也看不懂,麻烦楼主用谷歌翻译一下再发上来

工匠的研究越来越深刻呀

呵呵

{:11_314:}

没人翻译{:11_340:} 反正在前台闲着没事儿,帮LZ翻译一下。
一个“理想型的青旅”应该有些什么特色?
什么样的特色和质量才会搭建成一个理想型的青旅呢?在搭建理想型青旅的过程中有哪些相同的错误可以被避免呢?
下面我列出个清单。这些只是我基于在青旅界工作和旅游多年而给出的个人观点。我很乐意听听其他人的评论。
一个理想型的青旅应该具有以下特征(部分):
1.安全储物柜:每个房间里面都应该有安全储物柜。而安全储物柜至少应该能容下一台笔记本电脑和一台相机。这些年,旅行中装备高科技行囊的背包客越来越多。在城市青旅中这个问题越发重要。我提到这点的原因是我现在正在旅途中,暂住在一个城市青旅。这间青旅宣传提供储物柜,但实际上他们并没有。此青旅只有一个小型的储存盒在前台后边,他们承诺把我的手提电脑放在前台后边,但是我去过很多雇员有偷窃行为的城市青旅,所以我对此感到很不爽。所以的城市青旅至少应该为每位客人配备一个安全储物柜。如何在多人间放置安全储物柜,这里提供了一个很好的例子:http://www.palmerslodge.co.uk/sleep.htm
2.公用厨房:很多背包客预算都比较紧张,所以他们喜欢尽可能地自己做饭。公用厨房的一个优点是比多功能厨房更容易清洁。而且来自各地的客人可以一起聚会和用餐。
3.活动协调者:这个角色的扮演者可以是一个已经存在的雇员或者单独的协调员。青年旅舍保证客人愉快地交流是非常重要的。或者说背包客能不能聚在一起愉快交流这一点会对他们对青旅留下正面或者负面的印象产生很大的影响。即使他们看见一只蟑螂,如果他们玩得很愉快,交到新朋友,他们也会认为这间青旅是很棒的地方。一间青旅可以组织的活动有:沙滩排球,BBQ之夜,开心交谈之夜,地区徒步,串酒吧,游戏比赛(比如下棋)等等等等。只要是促进客人交流了解的活动都可以。
4.尽量不使用电视:如果有什么区别的话,电视在青旅貌似阻挡了客人们交流,特别是在房间里的电视。偶尔的“电影之夜”没有什么不妥,但是很大青旅没有电视也经营的很棒。同样,这也适用喧闹的音乐。如果硬要给重音乐腾出一个区域,那也应该腾出一个全天候安静的地方供客人聚会。
5.24小时交流区:理想型的青旅应该有一个可以供客人24小时交流而不受打扰的地方。
6.青旅的清洁:一些青旅有清洁问题。而明星青旅在保持清洁方面做得非常出色。初期良好的青旅设施设计会对此带来帮助。脏乱的青旅往往是由于雇佣的清洁工没有被很好的监督。

以上这些只是一部分。你认为还有哪些东西可以构建一个理想型的青旅呢?
I am a citizen of the world

接2L这些是我在旅行后对理想的青旅列出的一份单子:
有专门介绍对其他青旅的评论/本土的特色活动/本青旅所在区域的书籍。
用白板分别写出天气预报和房型、房间入住客人姓名。
建议薄 调查表
电子公告栏播放新闻
图书交换
供客人涂鸦装饰的区域
篝火 木材炉子
明星义务工展示牌
热情和缤纷多彩的
大量的地图
免费咖啡和茶饮
备用钥匙(以防客人钥匙落在房间里或为晚到的客人枕边)
铝制的花洒 大量的衣钩 足够高的蓬头(应该是说盥洗室吧。。。)
大号的水槽

唉,以上几点国内没有青旅全部做到吧。。。

我的毕业论文是关于青年旅舍的 可以求一下这篇的外文原文的作者信息吗 或者其他英文的资料?
(类似于这样的作者信息)Backpackers’experience in eastern China[J]. China Week,2004,09:23-25.

返回列表